Jack & Sally Skellington Costume Nightmare Before Christmas


This year I made our Halloween Costumes.
I have always been in love with the movie "Nightmare before Christmas." Jack and Sally Skellington are two of my favorite characters by Tim Burton.  
I was seeing a lot of homemade costumes of Jack and Sally run through my feed on Pinterest when the light bulb went off in my head that I could make these costumes.
First of all I like to sew,.... so I knew I could pull this off.
I'm not saying it was easy. It took me longer to make then I initially thought but it was so much fun.

I don't think you have to know how to sew to make this dress, but it helps.

The key to making this dress is to buy a cheap dress either from a thrift store or other cheap dress outlet that fits you. Make sure it fits well. Get one that has simple lines, like a good A line dress.

Gather up some scraps of fabrics to cut into strips, squares, circles, triangles.....it really does not matter.
Come up with a good color combination for the fabrics you pick. I went with orange, purple and black with turquoise and lime green.
Sally's dress has a different color combo, but I was not trying to copy it it exactly.
She is a rag doll so the point is to make a scrap/rag dress.


Then you just sew each scrap directly onto the dress. The hardest part is sewing around the neck and sleeve. I did not sew fabric over the sleeves on my dress. I let the sleeves of dress underneath show.

I drew in the swirls on the orange fabric with a black fabric marker. I made the bottom hem jagged. Then for finishing touches I took thick knitting yarn with a large needle and hand stitched x's and hatch marks to make it look like the scraps were sewn together.

If you can't sew I think the best way to put the scraps on the dress is to use fusible webbing and iron on each scrap.
I covered the entire dress with scraps except for the sleeves so I used a lot of fabric.

I bought white tights and drew the stitch marks on myself. It's easiest to put the tights on and draw the  lines on your own legs. Doing it this way ensures the marker does not bleed to the other side.
I bought my wig online.
I wish I would of bought a better quality face paint because you can not see that I have white face paint all over my face. The one I bought had the turquoise /teal in the package. I needed teal for her eyes so that was good but the white was crap.

I made my husbands costume too.
I could not find a black vest so I just made it myself and then drew in the white lines with fabric paint markers. I had to go over twice because the first pass through was kinda light.
I found a long sleeve black tee and painted the front section with white gesso and then drew the bat on top of that.



My husbands face paint shows up better. I should of used his.
I bought those teal arm sleeves because I did not want to paint my arms white. I got them at Spirit Halloween.
Love, love, love Halloween.



No comments:

Post a Comment